If you are finding it challenging to develop a regular yoga practice, don’t stress! It’s pretty normal all things considered! Something about being in a pandemic?
That said, I will always encourage you to start off with 5 minutes 3 x a week and then increase 5 minutes to 10 minutes and so on. On busy days, 5 minutes is better than nothing. What’s going on in your mind and heart is as equally important as your physical practice and your body. 5 minutes of breathing and movement can help to clear space in the mind and physically.
Also, notice how you feel when you do practice yoga vs when you don’t.
Here are my tips for a regular yoga practice.
Start with the steps below which will take 5 minutes.
- Make a commitment and write it down in an exercise book or dedicated yoga journal.
- Create a space for your practice. In your living room, bedroom, kitchen, outside, local park…make that your dedicated practice space.
- Set an intention for your practice. E.g. to be calm, or to find internal peace, to be strong in your practice….whatever comes to mind for you.
- Complete 5 x rounds of breathing exercises. E.g. Inhale. Pause. Exhale. Pause. Repeat x 5.
- Complete these exercises: child’s pose, cat and cow, puppy dog pose, thread the needle.
- Complete 3 x rounds of sun salutation A.
- Shift into your warm down exercises.
- Find stillness in your savasana/restful state to seal your practice.
Boom! You are done. As time goes on, you may find this 5 minutes will fly and you will naturally increase your time. However, don’t force! Go with it and commit to 5 minutes, 3 x a week to begin with.
I have the yoga poses I mentioned above on my YouTube channel and in blog posts on here.
Comment with any questions or concerns! xx