Pic: Delena, Kairuku, Papua New Guinea
First of all, what does it mean to “Find your natural state”?
Science describes your “natural state” as homeostatis. Homeostasis is the constant internal maintenance of the body to function effectively (BBC, 2019). For example, when you are in a hot climate, your body will automatically aim to cool you down and you will start to sweat. Sweat is your natural air conditioner to bring your body temperature back to your normal temperature or state of being.
My non-scientific description of your “natural state” is your happy state. The place where you eat well, sleep well, are rested, productive, efficient, your heart is happy, healthy and your soul smiles. You feel comfortable, confident and happy in your skin. There is effort and resistance as you move and go about your day, but not ongoing pain or discomfort.
How do you find your happy state?
- Do more of what makes you happy; Is it reading? Do more of that. Is it hiking? Do more of that. Is it studying? Do more of that! Your will instinctively know what brings you joy. Hear your spirit guiding you to what brings you joy and move towards that.
- Move your body 3 x week with walking, movement, running, yoga. Find what works for you.
- Ground yourself outside in nature. Walk barefoot on grass, go hiring, swim in the ocean and connect with our incredible environment we get to call home.
- Choose to spend time with people that uplift, and nurture your spirit and soul
- Don’t let the turkeys get you down. There will be times when you will need to cross paths with people who exude negativity. Distance yourself from these people as best you can, and if you can’t, hold onto your regular practice of self-care and set healthy boundaries which will protect you from absorbing bad vibes! (We don’t want bad vibes!)
- Drink lots of water (8 glasses a day to flush your system)
- Choose healthy food options
- Taking time to rest regularly
- Journal to clear your mind
- Review your goals daily
- Listen to music that heals
- Do yoga! (Of course, I am a yoga teacher so this goes without saying!)
- Focus on your self-care routine!
Find your natural state of happiness and honour your journey. Goodness knows you deserve it! Let me know what you do now to respect your body and find your balance. Love to hear your thoughts.